Monday, October 6, 2008

A Christmas With Hubbles

At a time when gas prices are high and the demand for expensive jewelry is all the rage, we should really be focusing on what we value. Is it really our most expensive belongings we value the most? Or is it the priceless moments we share with loved ones that we live for? For me, I value both. Often times, it’s the more expensive items I value most because you wouldn’t blow $300 on just anything. But then I take time to think about all the good times, the priceless moments I share with family and friends, and that always makes me realize how lucky I am.

For some reason, two years ago when I was in sixth grade, I started having this strange obsession over turtles. Was it the name I liked? Was it the cute little face that made me love it? Or was it just a silly stage I was going through? Whatever the reason, I was in love with turtles and ever since then I’d been begging to have one as a pet.
It was a normal morning, except for the fact that it was my birthday. I go down the stairs following the aroma of sizzling bacon, frying eggs and the sound of the toaster saying the bagels were done. It was the perfect birthday breakfast. I saunter into the kitchen to find my mom chatting on the phone with someone. With all the running around we do, it wasn’t out of the ordinary to see her on the phone, so I just go over to the stove, get my breakfast, and sit down at the kitchen table.
All the sudden my mom gets really quiet on the phone, which only makes me listen harder. Then she goes into the next room so that I couldn’t hear her at all. I sneak to the doorway and listen through the crack. I hear her say something about a turtle and automatically my ears perk up. The thought of a turtle had been talked about for the past few days and it was finally my birthday, could it be that I was going to get my turtle?
Finally, my mom gets off the phone after what seemed like hours and I just had to know who she was talking to. "Who was on the phone?" I ask her repeatedly because she doesn’t answer me. Then finally, she says, “Go get dressed and be in the car in 10 minuets.” I had an idea about where we might be going but I didn’t want to get my hopes up only to find that I wouldn’t be getting my turtle today. By the time I’m in the car, I’m still totally clueless and everyone is waiting for me. When we start to pull out of the drive way, my brother comes up from behind me and blind folds me. Then my other brother ties my hands together behind my back.
The car stopped about 15 minuets later and everyone gets out. My mom comes around to the side to help me out because I’m still blind folded. The sun beats down on my head as we walk toward something that at the moment I can’t see. We walk into a building and air conditioning hits me like a brick wall. I hear people fumbling with something around me. Suddenly, the fabric comes off from around my eyes and it takes a while for them to adjust to the light. Something is put into my hands and its kicking and scratching my fingers. I look down and see a beautiful Russian Tortoise. I was so surprised to see him I almost dropped him!
Now Hubbles, my turtle, is two years old. (He’s probably older but I’ve only had him that long). After the cage, lights, water bowl, cave rocks, and Hubbles himself, the total was about $300. Then there’s the monthly expense of food and rabbit pellets for his bedding which comes up to about $15 to $20.

My favorite time of year is always Christmas. I love how the wind whips through my hair, and the way the trees look after a snowy night. I love the way the morning sun looks on the snowy ground, but most of all, I love spending time with my family.
Every Christmas, we go to my grandparents’ house along with all 10 zillion of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and some miscellaneous family friends with no where else to go. When we first get to their house, we wait around for everyone else to get there which usually takes about an hour. When everyone is there and settled, my papa goes over to the Christmas tree in front of the windows, and one by one starts handing out gifts. We each start with one present each and go around the room watching people open their presents, and politely waiting for our turn to open our own. We go around like that until all the presents are opened.
When we are done opening presents, all the ‘kids,’ which include my cousins and I, sit in a circle and comment on everyone else’s presents, while the parents go into the kitchen and prepare all the food. At around 3:30, we put our presents away and go into the kitchen to sit down for Christmas dinner. Before we eat, we stand around the table in a circle holding hands, and say grace. Then my papa goes to the center of the table, and carves the turkey. All at once, we dig into our Christmas meals and all you can hear for the next hour is the clinking of forks on plates.

I value both my turtle and Christmas dinners for different reasons. I value my turtle because he cost a lot of money, and because he’s something that I’d wanted for a really long time. I value Christmas dinners with my family because my family is spread out all over, meaning we rarely get to see each other. So Christmas dinner at my grandparents house isn’t just about celebrating our religion, it’s a chance for me to hang out with my cousins whom I very rarely get to see.
My turtle and Christmas dinners are alike because they both allow me to spend time with family. I always feel comfort when I’m with loved ones at dinner, and I have the same feeling when I’m sitting at home doing homework next to Hubbles’ cage. In all honesty, I couldn’t put prices on either of my values, no matter how expensive they might truly be. They mean way too much to me, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything else in the world.

20 comments:

Jiayin said...

hey erin! great essay.. it was almost like a journal entry with a bit more formality, obviously, but it was great to understand how you really felt about the tings you valued. =)

betty said...

HI ERIN. i think you should put a picture of a toy car above your essay. anyways, love you lots!

Jenny said...

I think you do a good job in the first paragraph talking about what cost so much money today, gas prices and the high demand for jewelry. I like how you say that you value both and you say that you value your more expensive items because they cost a lot, and I feel the same way too.

I thought you described Hubbles, your turtle, very well. Hubbles is someone you love and always feel happy with, and even though it cost a ton of money he one of your most favorite things in the whole world! One of my favorite parts of the story is where you talk about how your brothers blindfolded you. I also like the part we you talk about when they put Hubbles in your hand and all you can feel is his nails scratching your hand. SO CUTE!

I felt your introduction was very well thought out and very well written. I think you did a great job describing you Christmas Family Dinner and Hubbles. Your comparing paragraph I thought was really good; I liked how you said that you get the same feelings when you’re around Hubbles and at the dinners.

One piece of suggestion is maybe have a paragraph at the end where you define what you think is value means to you and explain. Over all it was a great essay! I love you Erin! 7-7-94!

Ben said...

you would love to have seen me fall off my bike?!?!?!?!?!?

Ben said...

But otherwise your essay is really good.

-Ben:-)

betty said...

its ben godek! oh he does like you.
(sorry benny, its true)

send the picture of hubbles to me!<3

Hannah P said...

The author is asking rhetorical questions about what make things valuable to a person and with all the outrageous gas prices and expensive jewelry today, how a person tell's something's valuable. Her two valuable items are her turtle, Hubbles, and Christmas dinner with her whole family.
I thought that her valuable turtle was described well. I thought she did a good job about telling the reader about he whole sequence of events that led up to her birthday gift, her turtle. I thought the sentence "I go down the stairs following the aroma of sizzling bacon, frying eggs and the sound of the toaster saying the bagels were done" was a really good descriptive sentence. I could almost smell the bacon.
I thought the best part of the essay was the introduction. I thought that it had a lot of voice in it and that it was well organized throughout the essay.
The only thing I'd suggest would be to have a stronger conclusion and wrap everything up. Overall I thought you did a really good job!!!

betty said...

In this essay Erin comments on how she values both priced items and priceless moments. She says that we should begin to focus on what we truly value. She also questions whether we value priced items, or priceless moments more. She also says that sometimes we value priced moments more than priceless, and vice versa.
I think Erins description of Hubbles is her strongest description. This is because her descriptive present tense language helped us visualize the day of her birthday, and what happened when she first got Hubbles. I also liked her introduction of how she became obsessed with turtles. A specific line in her essay that i liked was, "It was a normal morning, except for the fact that it was my birthday. I go down the stairs following the aroma of sizzling bacon, frying eggs and the sound of the toaster saying the bagels were done."
I think one of the essay's strong points is its vivid description of emotion and what is going on. I could feel how excited Erin was on her birthday, how she felt under the blindfold, and how she snuck up on her mom talking on the phone. The best part of her essay was her description of getting her turtle, Hubbles. She uses descriptive language and interesting verbs.
One suggestion to improve Erin's essay would be to add more description to the memory of christmas dinner with her family. You could add a description of the presents, the people, the house, or tree. Also, using more sophisticated language would help us visualize the item better. Overall, this essay was effective, and had excellent description.
GO ERIN!! :)

Ben said...

what is hubbles?????

Peter said...

random fat santa

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j113/leafmy/FAT-SANTA-DAY-1.png

ITS AMAZING!!

or...http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/Thobbit/FatSanta.jpg

ITS CREEPY!!!!

_peter

Ben said...

ok fair enough

Ben said...

i was talking about the first time that i ever road a bike, not the bike in general.

betty said...

peta. PETA PEETTTAAAAA.


hi peta!

Peter said...

FOR THE RECORD, MY NAME IS SPELLED P-E-T-E-R (BETTY).

I AM NOT IN PETA!

I DON'T THROW RED PAINT ONTO PEOPLE WITH FUR COATS ON!

MY NAME IS PETER, AND I ENJOY BARBECUING KITTENS...hoo, creepy.

IF THAT LAST SENTENCE DIDN'T MAKE YOU VEGETARIANS FREAK OUT, I APPLAUD YOUR ABILITY TO TOLERATE INSANE PEOPLE LIKE ME.

_peter

p.s.- i don't actually barbecue kittens...although some deserve it.

http://blogs.dixcdn.com/zesty/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/worlds-fattest-cat-fat-cat1.jpg

Erin said...

peter!! what is it with you and like weird creepy links?!?! lol...
that is deffinitley one wicked fat over weight cat though... i've gotta admit.

betty said...

wheres its googoo? its googoo's not there P-E-T-A!

Erin said...

betty...no comment.

lol

Ben said...

LOL

betty said...

Hi im peter. and i spend my saturday nights on the internet, googling random pictures of overweight cats and fat santas. I also enjoy watching a completely pointless claymation show on my ipod.

Ben said...

i do that too